Saturday, October 5, 2013

Weather & Packing


We leave two weeks from tomorrow, so if you haven't started to think about packing, now would be a good time.

I've checked the 15 year weather history available at wunderground.com for Budapest and Vienna, the two places we'll be spending the most time.  As there isn't a lot of difference between the two so I think either can serve as a good indicator of what we're likely to find.

There are two headlines for me from this data:

Expect some rain.

Over the past 15 years, on the dates that we will be there, it has rained nearly half of the time (47% in Budapest, 49% in Vienna).  That doesn't mean it rained all day, only that it rained at some point in those 24 hours.  Let's pray for overnight showers, but be prepared to stay dry while out touring.

Happy campers out for a stroll
Dress in layers.

The average temperatures over the past 15 years have been:

Budapest


Lowest
Highest
Average high for the day
48o
69 o
Average low for the day
26 o
53 o


Vienna


Lowest
Highest
Average high for the day
35o
68 o
Average low for the day
30 o
55 o

We'll be overnighting in each of these locations and you might want to go out for a stroll in the evening; for that you're going to want a light coat/jacket and maybe a sweater under that.

Granted this is extreme, but you get the point
I'm anticipating sitting outside on the deck in the evening, checking out towns all lit up as we float by.  I'm realizing now that my dreams need to include a pair of gloves so I don't drop my drink!



No comments:

Post a Comment